View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 12:14 PM
macflyer
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: Whatever my number lets me...

Originally Posted by BZNpilot248 View Post
I really think they should do something about the starting pay but I also think they could leave the pay intact for more senior pilots - why not a raise across the board? Consider if they raised the ticket price TWO DOLLARS per passenger - say conservatively there were 30 people on board, you did 4 legs per day and worked 180 days that year (2x30x4x180) you'd wind up with over 43,000 dollars per year you could split between the flight crew on top of what they already make! Many regional pilots also work more than 180 days, have more than 4 legs and more than 30 people on board too. I hardly feel like the airlines would be dropping like flies if everyone raised the ticket price by $2.00. Might even raise the professionalism and saftey level. But I'm no economist, and I don't work for management. So I probably don't have a clue. We're all circus animals that will work for peanuts to preserve our job, or our dream of flying. They've figured us out.
I have tried very hard not to comment on these types of posts but..
Please guys... Lets understand something. THE AIRLINES ARE A BUSINESS.
If they could raise fares any amount, be it one cent or 1000 dollars, pilots or any labor would not see it trickle down to them as long as they are willing to do the job for the price that they are being paid for and accepting. The KEY is accepting a pay rate. By taking a job at any amount of compensation you determine the price of your services. WHY would anyone pay a penny more?

Supply and Demand.
Unfortunately the demand will not be met by supply and supply by demand as long as the free market does not exist in the job market of an airline industry because of the existence of a union and/or seniority number.

No seniority number = free market = opportunity to adapt to market price.