View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 12:35 PM
PinnacleFO
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: CRJ Captain

Originally Posted by ce650 View Post
I just read thru the Air France thread and have a question about the rules the 121 guys use for TS avoidence? The reason I ask is from past observations. I remember last summer going north thru the midwest near STL when a UPS plane in cruise punched thru a top of a pretty good sized cell. The pilot reported to center "we just had mod to severe turb I think we flew thru a top". I have noticed also while turning around storms and wondering if I am far enough away only to see an airliner pop up on TCAS 10 miles closer than I am. (look at the pic in the airfrance thread)

A few weeks ago there was a solid line of40k and 50k top thunderstorms across the country between me and the destanation ,,we just sat it out.(we have the option) But I look at flight aware and planes are still going thru the line. I wonder if I am over cautious, (ie, candy a%$ or insert your own name) Do you guys have the option of saying were going to wait, or is it "we have to go so lets find a way to get it done"
Never think that you are over cautious in my opinion. I have delayed a flight due to thunderstorms before. That was also when i was first a captain. In the 3 years since i now know what my limits are and looking back, I would have left with out any delay. But that day, it was the best decision to wait in my opinion.