View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 06:25 AM
FlyJSH
Day puke

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Out.

Originally Posted by Kasserine06 View Post

I wish I could get into the grind! I would love to fly for peanuts (on a side note, there is a lot of talk about pilot unity and not accepting low wages for any type of flying once you have your commercial, but it would be pretty hard for me to demand more money from some banner towing company when they are already cutting me a break on their minimums), but insurance companies are killing me. I am able train students to fly a twin down to minimums in 10-15 hours, give some teen the right to fly alone after 20 hours, and ferry an airplane across the country, but the local news channel wont trust me to fly a 150 in an area I know like the back of my hand until I have 1200 hours.

Thanks for the help. I know there are bigger problems in the industry than me not being able to build time, but thanks a lot for the input.
IF anybody on this board gives you crap for taking a low paying job in a 172 (the old "you're destroying the industry" song), ignore them. That job is not taking any flying away from a mainline, it isn't pay for training, it isn't a non-union scab job. It's a job to get your feet wet, learn some things, pay a bill or two, build time, and become a better pilot.

And try not to harp on the companies that won't hire you. When it comes to getting hired, many folks who have been in this industry a while have batting averages worse than an American League pitcher. Just keep swinging.

If significantly high minimums do become the norm, all new pilots will be facing the same problem as you. Many will get discouraged and drop out, eliminating some of the competition.

(One of your posts mentioned medical issues. I have some experience with difficult medicals. PM me if you want specific help)