View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 09:02 AM
The Juice
ULTP-Ultra Low Tier Pilot

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by 250 or point 65 View Post
How long does it take to wash one plane? An hour? That means he's paying you $100+/hr? That doesn't make sense. Not calling BS on your story, but I would guess the OP would have a hard time finding someone willing to just dish out flight time in exchange for something he could pay min wage for.
I assume you have never worked on a line at an FBO. A basic single engine wash runs about $125, want wax and you are looking at $275 total and dont expect to get that prop spinner nice and shiney without popping out more cash. This is not something you get done for minumum wage as you suggest.

If a plane rents for $125 an hour, it does not mean the cost is the same. Flight clubs are great because the planes are owned by club members who rent them out to other members for slightly over cost. I used to fly a warrior for $79/hr wet and that was TACH time, not hobbs. His cost was about $60 an hour when I asked him.

So I do not think it is BS to think a plane owner would trade 1 hour of flight ($60 cost) for a plane wash ($125+)

Plus I think there is good will amongst older pilots willing to help out a younger pilot wanting to fly and doing it on his own.