View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 09:05 AM
ryan1234
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: USAF

Originally Posted by 250 or point 65 View Post
How long does it take to wash one plane? An hour? That means he's paying you $100+/hr? That doesn't make sense. Not calling BS on your story, but I would guess the OP would have a hard time finding someone willing to just dish out flight time in exchange for something he could pay min wage for.
I've washed aircraft for flight time, painted hangar doors, etc... there are people out there who are more than willing to give you a few hours for some hard work. Many people are willing to help you out, especially if you have the right attitude, can get along with people, and show a genuine interest in their aircraft/projects. Aviation is all about networking... it can start while you are trying to build hours. Many people would feel better about letting someone wash/fly their aircraft if you are a pilot or instructor and have a good attitude about everything.

There are a lot of good opportunities out there (I've heard of guys getting a couple hours in some pretty cool aircraft and doing a ferry deal to airshows for some pilots) - most times it seems like it is all who and when - just timing really - but when you are at the airport more, you expose yourself to that.

Getting a CFI really helps you out though... whether you work flight instructing full time or not. Some people will be ok with you using their personal aircraft (to keep it flying and lubricated if you just put gas in it or something), if you can do their BFR or something like that.

Hanging around the airport may not be so bad, especially if you get around an A&P IA... maybe work towards your A&P while waiting to build hours - it will build your reputation as well.

Flight Instructing isn't all that bad either if you are in a good spot with good people.

*Whatever you do to build hours - just try to be really good and reliable - you never know who might put in a good word for you for a really great corporate gig.

Best of Luck!