floydbird
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    May 2007
Quote: So where do you draw the line?

Cockpit jumpseating is duty?
Yes

Quote: How about a JSer who gets a seat in back? Is that duty too?
Yes

Quote: There's no effective difference between a cabin JSer and a non-rev, right?
Wrong. Pass riding--have a glass of wine and enjoy.

Quote: So nonreving is duty too.
No, see above.

Quote: A nonrev is basically sitting on his ass in a chair.
Perhaps, but he's not on duty.

Quote: So how about that guy who lives in domicile...he might stay up late, sitting a chair watching a movie or reading a book...sounds just like duty too. What about a parent with an infant who gets up every 2-3 hours all night...every night for a year or so?
We all have an obligation to our families, co-workers, and public, regardless of what drama each of our lives holds, to show up well-rested and fit for duty.

Quote: If you follow this to it's logical conclusion, all pilots need to report eight hours prior to departure and be physically confined to a bed in a dark, silent room.
The slippery slope...no, you need to be well-rested and fit for duty. I think if you are jumpseating, you are on duty, therefore not resting. How many pilots would accept a trip assignment from the company that started with a jumpseat redeye across the country immediately followed by a "normal" workday? I don't think many would. Yet there are pilots (starting w/the subject pilot of the original post) that have no problem doing it on their own.

Quote: The point is, where do you draw the line? It's a very hard line to draw, and it would be easy to trip over constitutional issues. Are you going to have rules for those who live out of domicile, that don't apply to those who live in domicile?
I draw the line where actions of a small number of pilots threaten our extraordinary priviledge of commuting great distances to work. Every time the commuting behavior of a pilot can be cited as a contributing factor to an accident/incident, that behavior will be used as ammunition justify the inhibition our priviledges.

My original point is, that to me, jumpseating is clearly duty, and that it will be very easy for the FAA--unless we ALL get our acts together---to use existing regulations to force us to count jumpseating as duty time.