View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 08:35 PM
RedBaron007
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: E-190 Leftist

Originally Posted by inverted pilot View Post
t207.... Maybe your company doesn't operate the same as mine.. but we are prohibited by TSA/FAA security regulations from bringing carry-on bags up from the cargo bin once they have been put there as this poses a possible security risk as they have now been with unscreened checked bags and out of possession of the owner. And checked bags can, of coures, never be brought to the cabin because they are not security screened. Not saying anyone likes leaving people behind, but the day a person looses their career for breaking federal regs .. that's the day that person will regret choosing to perform illegal actions just so a stranger can catch a ride 3 hours earlier. It's just not worth ruining your career to try to get that extra person on. Ask the guys who have tried it and are now jobless... i know one personally. Be safe out there all.. and use your heads.
My understanding is that it's not at all a security issue, since these bags are returned to PAX at their destination planeside - meaning the security chain would be broken if they're getting on a connecting flight. It's an FAA violation according to Piedmont's carry-on bag program because the bag has already been deemed too big to fit in the cabin and tagged, then it must remain in the baggage compartment (at least I think this is the reason). I don't follow the security logic. Either way it's one of those absolutely ridiculous rules that you should just follow to keep yourself from getting in deep with the company/FAA. The carry-on bag program where you work may also be different than ours.