View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 08:00 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by KC10 FATboy View Post
USMC ... I am not faulting you so please don't feel that way. And if I made you feel that way, I apologize. Heck, if I need a new car, I *might* consider it.

However, this program was NOT designed for the consumer, it was designed for the manufacturers.

A vehicle has an environmental impact far beyond it's MPGs. The environmental impact of manufacturing, transporting, and marketing of a vehicle must be included. You will have to use that new fuel efficient car for a very very long time in order for the environmental benefit to pay off. How long depends on what car you threw away and what car you purchased.

Here's what makes me sore about this program, despite that it's another government program running us into even more debt, the cars are being thrown away -- not recycled. I mean, come on. If we are doing this program to save the environment, why are they throwing them away? The parts suppliers have been completely cut out of the profit equation and as such, this program impacts the environment even more.
I don't think anyone is attacking me.
EVERYTHING has to be replaced. New products have to be produced. Whether it is that old light bulb being replaced for a newer one that is all twisted, I said this in a previous post. Of course it takes resources to build a new car. What more efficient product does not? New cars will be made. New cars will be sold. I got rid of a LESS efficient car for a cleaner and MORE efficient car. I have affected what I can affect - and I will hopefully be doing it cleaner and more efficiently; plus this car is much safer than my Mustang too!

ONLY the engine and the drivetrain can not be REUSED, but that doesn't mean that other parts can't be recycled, and I'm sure the engine and drivetrain could be recycled or they will be part of a very nice golf course - maybe even on an AFB somewhere!! The salvage company probably makes out better than anyone else. My Mustang weighed 4,500 lbs (2.24 tons) and IF I get that check from them for the value of my salvage (minus the $50 the dealer gets for "administrative purposes") then they will probably have paid me $75 per ton. What is that - $168.75? I'm pretty sure that they will be able to salvage parts off that car worth more than that!

As far as another gov't program running us into further into debt - well I have already given examples in previous posts of other programs that don't seem to be helping me much on a personal level and are costing many times the cost of this one. Like I said -this one worked out good for me and alot of others so far. Let's hope this program ends up with some much need good intentions when it is all said and done.

As far as you using the program - if you go down to a dealer and then meet all the requirements for the program and CHOSE NOT TO TAKE THE REBATE - then I'll be the first to pat you on the back and say that you are a person who can stand up for his beliefs. In this case - I happen to have different beliefs I guess.

USMCFLYR

Btw - if I came across gov't rebate or tax incentives that would save me money on new appliances, windows, heating systems, washer and dryers, light bulbs, or even changing the temperature setting in my house (when I get one) - I'll be taking advantage of every one available - am I'm pretty sure that most others would too.