Old 08-07-2009, 01:54 PM
cficpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Adding to C17 reply:
1. Thus, if they were to try and send you somewhere...after your first assignment, you would have the option to separate.
*** Once you meet your commitment you would be a free agent, agree with C17

1) Is there a place to go and try to see what assignments are possible? (For example, if I wanted staff at a particular base, where could I see what staff positions were available) Same thing goes if I wanted to try an AETC tour; where can I go to see if that base and plane were even an option?
*** Agree with C17 put down what you want to do and where you want to go. They will then offer you what they have and hope they are pretty close.
*** I don't think so. There is a list at the beginning of this thread showing where they really want folks, but if you come to them with a specific request I think they'll try to make it happen for you. Put it all on your 125 (dream sheet) and cover letter, then expect a call from an assignment officer to discuss your options...

2) Just so I understand the message 100%, at any point thru the process, up and until you sign your orders, you can pull it? So you can put your assignment preferences request, and if they don't give you something you want, there is no obligation? That is my understanding as it stands and the only way I apply.
*** Assignment Officer makes a rec. to the board. Board approves your package and you get an offer in the form of a Statement of Intent, this is your offer to accept or reject it. (see earlier posts this thread for samples) If you like it you sign it and return it. I think C17 is right you have up to report date, however its pretty official when you sign that SOI so before you accept/reject the SOI I would make sure that is what I want want to do. Up to that point you have nothing to lose. My SOI stated is must be signed and returned within 7 days not 14 days.
*** Yes, I believe you can pull out up to the final minute you ultimately report for duty. But before you ever get to that point, you will work with an assignment officer and will negotiate a job and base. That will be what they end up offering you, and you have two weeks to agree or turn it down. I hear you will have to wait a year before applying again.

Bottom line--there doesn't seem to be a down side to at least putting in for some dream assignments and seeing what they say--other than having to let your guard/reserve unit know that you may be leaving them! Agree you have nothing to lose but time by delaying putting in your package. Once again good luck.