View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 05:48 AM
wrxpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: B767

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse View Post
What I learned about electrical cars:

1. If Lithium Ion, they are completely recyclable.
Recycle Lithium Today for Tomorrow's Cars | Green Energy News

"Today we’re a long way from major automotive lithium recycling. Still, as lithium batteries in vehicles get closer to full commercialization, then Toxco, and perhaps newcomers into the business will probably be gearing up to meet the demand. It seems likely that now many lithium batteries, particularly the smallest ones, are not recycled but dumped in the trash. Given that so much is banking on lithium at the moment, it seems a shame to throw away any of this valuable resource."

2. Most chargers are controlled to prevent thermal runaway
No, that is not true. It's the design of the battery that prevents thermal runaway.
Lithium-ion safety concerns

3. Batteries on the Tesla have a chip on EACH cell to charge individually and disconnect if necessary (failed cell, overheat)
The base price for the Tesla is $109,000, and the replacement battery system you speak so highly of is $36,000.

4. Most production electrics have a impact triggered disconnect (like airbag).
Even if they all have this technology, it's hard to dispute that there will be one hell of a mess if the battery pack is ruptured in an accident.

5. Dollar for dollar (assuming average/kilowatt -vs- $3.00/gal) electrical vehicles are 6 times more efficient than a gasoline vehicle of similar size.
They are definitely more efficient, no doubt about it. But their environmental footprint is dubious at best. You also pay a heck of a lot more for that efficiency right now, putting the costs well outside of the average consumer right now.

Good:
1. cheaper to operate.
Operational costs should consider the acquisition and replacement part costs. In that case, electric vehicles are far from being cheaper to operate than traditional fossil fuel vehicles.

2. fewer moving parts (motor has 1 moving part)
A hybrid vehicle has much more than the motor as a moving part. There is quite a complicated electro-mechanical interface involved, with lots of new, complicated technology that needs to work together in very dynamic and rugged environment. The Prius seems to be a very reliable car, but time will tell if these complicated vehicle are able to match the reliability of the traditional fossil fuel vehicle. I just think it's a little premature and statistically impossible to proclaim greater reliability at this point.

3. MUCH less maintenance.
How do you figure? You now have a internal combustion engine AND an additional drivetrain in the form of an electric motor and battery interface.

4. MUCH more torque.
That is true, but if you're in a torque intensive application (such as towing), the current and near future generation of hybrids won't make it out of town before needing to rest and re-charge.

Bad:
1. Expensive (for now)
2. Charge times (for now)
3. Range (for now)
Yes I know the Volt is a hybrid, but hybrids are only an intermediate technology while waiting for a suitable storage device for fully electric vehicles.
I wouldn't hold your breath. Pure electric vehicles are a very immature technology, and a good battery is not even in the horizon at this point. Near term, I think the most promising aspect will the the plug in hybrid as long as it can prove itself. The Chevy Volt is very optimistic and is coming from a manufacturer that is in a lot of financial trouble. They have a lot to prove to people like me before I'll believe a word out of their marketing department.

Electrical vehicles will likely many families second car. The Inter Combustion Engine for longer trips (or when someone forgets to charge the electric car) and the electrical vehicle for most local trips. Large trucks will likely take longer to change over.
I agree. I also think we are still in the very early stages until the fuel cell becomes economically viable and technologically feasible.

Yeah, I think 230mpg is being a little unrealistic. I would like to be proven wrong.
Me too. Our world and society will be MUCH better off once vehicles with this sort of promise become common place.