View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 08:00 PM
A320fan
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: C172 Right
Default Should I stay, or should I go?

Hey all,

(I apologize in advance for the length of this post. It's lengthy because I felt it was the best way to show just how many factors are influencing this, so bear with me if you can)

I'm starting my second year at a very well-known and respected flight school. (I've chosen not to say the name because I don't want any "my school is better than yours" fights going on here.) I got my PPL last February, closing in on 90 hours in the air, and am very glad I got my basic training here. Unfortunately, I've been having a few problems though, and something came to mind a few days ago that I would like your opinions on.

Like most part 141 schools, this place trains us in a fast-paced, rigorous learning environment. We as students are expected to go from no time to a PPL in one semester, full instrument traing in one semester, and so on. The first semester, I didn't finish my private training until two months into the second semester, failing a 141 stage check and the final FAA ride getting there. The next course, which was a time-builder and an intro to basic instrument flying, should have been done at the end of last semester. I am still trying to finish it up now, since I had no choice but to head home for the summer and work (money is kind of an object for me, and I tend to run out of it.) I am basically totally behind the flight training "template" that has been set for the 4 years we are here, and have very little hope of catching back up again. Even if I kept working at trying to get caught up, the stress of time really messes with my performance, especially on stage checks/checkrides.

Also, the school is located in a small, remote town over 300 miles from the nearest major city. Ever since I came to this school, I have felt out of place. I'm kinda different than everyone here, and just cannot relate to anyone because of that, and haven't made any real friends. To put it simple, I'm not happy here. I always felt more comfortable in a bigger city with more culture, more of an original scene, and less mainstream "let's get drunk and get laid" college lifestyle. Had enough of my whining yet??

Based on all I've read on these fourms, it sounds like the best option to go about pursuing that airline career is to go to school for a degree in anything BUT aviation, and get the ratings at the local FBO. It sounds like all airlines are looking for is how many hours do you have and if you have a college degree, regardless of what its for.

With that in mind, I thought of this: I've always had a natural nack for writing (hell, I profread this thing twice before posting!), and had in mind ditching this school and the aviation degree program I'm enrolled in right now, and get a degree in journalism from the university in Milwaukee (long story, but that's where I'd go if I left here). I'd get my ratings at the FBO, build time while I'm working, and go for that airline job with that degree to fall back on in case of a furlough.

But on the opposite side, I've wanted that seat in the cockpit since I was a kid, and wanted it BADLY!!! I'm willing to do absolutely anything to make that happen too. Yeah, go ahead and laugh....if I was one of you guys, I'd probably laugh at me too for saying something like that, but that doesn't change the fact that it's true. I couldn't live with myself if I gave that dream up. And so far, after all that I've had to deal with in the last year, I'm still 100% driven to do it.

Here's what I would like to know from you guys.

1. If I left this "prestegious flight school" and went for the journalism degree and FBO flight training, what would actually be at stake? Do I run the risk of not having the ability to get hired because I don't have a degree in aviation? All I ever hear is "our school's job placememt rate is 98%" and "you can go wherever you want and be the best at it if you graduate from our program," and do not want to loose that. I want this badly enough to endure three more years of this if that's what its going to take.

2. This school hires students as instructors, and that usually takes only a year to build good regional time at $23/hour. If I got trained at an FBO, how hard is it to find ways to build regional time? If it's near impossible, it doesn't seem worth it to leave.

3. I know that FBO's are cheaper than part 141 schools (especially with the $150,000 I'm going to end up taking out in loans here), but hear some talk that they are getting more expensive. If I'm going to end up paying nearly as much for FBO training, once again, it doesn's seem worth it to leave.

Hope you got through that whole thing in one piece, and your advice on this whole thing would mean the world to me. Thanks a lot for your help.

Colin