View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 07:39 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by A320fan View Post
1. If I left this "prestegious flight school" and went for the journalism degree and FBO flight training, what would actually be at stake? Do I run the risk of not having the ability to get hired because I don't have a degree in aviation? All I ever hear is "our school's job placememt rate is 98%" and "you can go wherever you want and be the best at it if you graduate from our program," and do not want to loose that. I want this badly enough to endure three more years of this if that's what its going to take.
Aviation employers do not care where you got your ratings. they care only about your flight experience (ie multi-engine turbine PIC). There are no "prestigious flight schools" with the possible exception of the US service academies. Certain "prestigious flight schools" are actually the laughing stock of the aviation industry, the butt of jokes and bad stereotypes.

The better jobs (even at the regional level) will require a 4-year degree, but it does not matter what your major is. However...I would not do an indulgent major like history, philosophy, etc. Aviation is your indulgence, you need to get a degree which will make you somewhat employable if you get furloughed, have medical problems, etc. Aviation degrees are not very useful in the real world...and they will not help you in aviation either for that matter.

Don't pay too much attention to anything flight schools tell you. You can easily tell when they are lying...their lips are moving.

2. This school hires students as instructors, and that usually takes only a year to build good regional time at $23/hour. If I got trained at an FBO, how hard is it to find ways to build regional time? If it's near impossible, it doesn't seem worth it to leave.
You should have no problem building time as a CFI...but that is also economy dependent. Right now things are tough but that's because there is less recreational GA flying and many pilots looking for work. But that is not likely to be the case in three years.

3. I know that FBO's are cheaper than part 141 schools (especially with the $150,000 I'm going to end up taking out in loans here), but hear some talk that they are getting more expensive. If I'm going to end up paying nearly as much for FBO training, once again, it doesn's seem worth it to leave.
I would usually throw out a number in the $35-45K range for all of your ratings at FBO's or small schools. The price of fuel may have impacted that some, but there is no way you need to spend $100K or even close to it.

You will still need a 4-year degree though, but that can be had on the cheap at a state school.