View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by Kasserine06 View Post
I actually believe it is easier for FlyHigh to get into the Air Force than a major.

I think I'll have to beg to differ on that. As a guess, I'd say the chances are similar. There is timing involved with entry into the USAF as a pilot, too. They are not always "hiring". Sometimes they need a lot of pilots, sometimes they don't. There's also a difference between setting your goal to become a pilot in the USAF and setting your goal to become a fighter pilot in the ANG of a specific state.

If he sets his goal a bit more broadly, he may not end up in OH flying a fighter but he may end up with pilot wings on his chest in the USAF. However, realizing that goal is certainly no easier than attempting to get hired by a major airline. The window of opportunity for entering the training pipeline of the USAF is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than applying to a major. Once you have the quals for a major, you can apply until you die. The USAF will take you from college graduation (say ~22 years old) until age 30. So, you've got 8 years to make it happen. Once you're in UPT, you've got to graduate. 50% of my class washed out. I'm sure that statistic varies but I doubt it gets lower than 25-30%.

I'm no statistician but I would hazard a guess that the selection process, medical requirements, small window of opportunity, needs of the military and extremely demanding curriculum of military pilot training would all combine to make the realization of a position as a USAF pilot no easier than getting on with a major. He just won't go into debt and waste a significant portion of his life chasing the USAF dream. He'll either make it or he won't and he won't slow leak his life hoping to achieve a dream job that for many has become a nightmare anyway.