View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Phantom Flyer
Snakes & Nape

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: B-767 Captain
Default No Sea Lawyer

[quote=atpcliff;675699]
Virtually every airline and aviation organization will want you to log PIC when you are responsible and you sign ALL the paperwork.
/quote]

I'm certainly not an expert nor do I have a "Sea Lawyer" shingle hanging outside my office but I think atpcliff hit the nail on the head with the first statement.

I used to do a lot of interviewing at a major 121 carrier and most of my personal flight experience is Part 135 and 121. The only time we considered as legimate "PIC" was when one signed the flight release as the Pilot-in-Command. Period. Even if, as First Officer and typed in the equipment, you flew the entire leg, you should log "SIC" as the Captain signed for the aircraft and was designated as the PIC on the flight release. That's all that mattered from an FAA perspective. We actually had an applicant who claimed to have had several hundred hours of "PIC" time in a large turbojet aircraft and yet he was not even typed in that equipment. He said that he was the "acting Captain" and so it was legal. Guess what....his paperwork hit file 13 very quickly. Another good point, use an electronic logbook if possible and yes, sync your logbook with your company records. Very good advice, especially in today's environment.

I'm not familiar with "P3" time but I did log my 1,800 hours of Flight Engineer time but only as that, F/E time. It's time aloft but not at a "control position".

Just my two cents devalued to $ .0002387 on today's market.

G'Day