View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 04:01 AM
ATCsaidDoWhat
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: What day is it?

Originally Posted by JasonGerald View Post
Congratulations to the Amerijet pilots. Persaverance and principles can pay off. It's hard not to politizise nor take it personally when it comes to labor management relationships in this industry. I can empathize with the emotional pain and anxiety of what these pilots have gone through.

I spent 89 days on strike at Comair. Not one pilot crossed the picket line. There were a few retired Comair pilots repositioning aircraft for the company. I'm not sure if they were tagged with being a scab or not.

I was single at the time with only myself to support. In hindsight I've gained a lot more respect for the guys and gals who had families to feed and mortgages to pay while walking the picket line. I'm a father of two now and I can only imagine how much harder it would be to walk away from the cockpit. A worker should be mentally, and to the best of their ability, financially prepared to never go back to that job if he or she chooses to go on strike.

A scab can never escape his or her past. I know of a gentlemen who dared to cross a picket line decades ago. Perhaps he thought time had covered his tracks, while seeking a job across a continent and ocean away from where he had first made his fateful decision long ago, when he applied for a flying position in Asia. His application was summarily tossed into the trash recently because the man in charge of hiring, a retired US carrier pilot and ALPA member, knew he was a scab. Aviation is a small community.
Kudo's on a very measured and insightful comment. Many, many years ago, a guy I flew with who was full blooded Cherokee told me about a question his grandfather had asked him: "Do you know what the white man's problem is? He always leaves tracks."

Obviously it was not a racial comment, but a observation that your history always follows you and will find you. 20,30,40 years ago, it might have been easier to cover your tracks. In this electronic era...doubtful.