View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Cardinal
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2006

I count 13 out of 41, thats slightly less than 1/3, not more.

And I suppose ALPA conspired with al Qaeda to achieve the most precipitous fall in air travel in my generation? The pilots at those carriers could have worked for free and they would still have entered/be in bankruptcy.

Further, your "reference" is laughable. That site is a collection of rantings. The editor's words:

"I certainly agree that no pilot should ever suffer a financial penalty for making any safety-related decision. To the extent that any union contract prevents such a penalty, it is a positive and favorable to airline safety. However, union contracts should not be perceived as the only possible source of such protection. The FAA, through its rule-making process, could install a new regulation (FAR) that requires all employers to ensure no pilot suffers any financial penalty as a direct result of any safety-related decision"

Yet on his front page he declares the following:

"The long history of incompetence and bureaucratic bungling of the FAA, in regards to its supposed mission to guarantee our safety, is an ongoing case in point."

So which is it? The FAA has put forward no such regulation, there is no safety utopia, as the editor wishes. Thus the only protection a pilot has during go/no-go decision is representation, which the editor decries throughout his website. We are left with the neccesity of union involvement, an imperfect, but necessary solution.

The first an foremost advantage to the employee in an industry such as ours is safety, an advantage that also accrues to the flying public. Economic benefits are welcome yet incidental. A first year SkyWest FO makes 19.02/hr. flying a 50-90 seat transport. You disagree that this should be improved?