View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 04:42 AM
iflyjets4food
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: EMB 170/175 F.O.
Default From a family oriented pilot...

I'll tell you, as someone who struggled with the same things you are, and still struggles with those things, it is possible to have a flying career and be a good family man. Notice I didn't say 777 career. You have to decide what is important. You can have an airline career and have a good homelife if you want to do turns (out and backs) everyday. That does get monotonous after awhile. A corporate job is a possibility if you get on with the right company. The problem is that as a corporate guy, you are married to the airplane. If your company does a lot of weird hours and spur of the moment trips, you'll likely be better off as an airline pilot because at least you'll have the schedule. If you find a company that does mostly day trips and is mostly scheduled at least a week out, you'll have a good homelife. These companies do exist, you just have to network to find them. This industry is full of people who have chosen their careers over their families. It takes a dedicated person to lay off of their career desires in order to be a good family man. I have for the most part had to give up dreams of flying a 767 over the pond in lieu of being happy at home, and to me, it is well worth it. Just spend some time deciding where your priorities lie. You can live comfortably without ever making $160/hour at DAL. Just make smart decisions. Good luck in your struggle.