Old 10-19-2009, 07:56 PM
ppilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: Left seat

Originally Posted by illinipilot View Post
ppilot,

61.51 states:

(iii) Except for a recreational pilot, is acting as pilot in command of an aircraft on which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is conducted.

At my company it is very clear who is the acting P.I.C. Although our FOs are allowed to fly from the left seat on empty legs and are typed in the aircraft, our flight-release, the duties and responsibilities, and even the paycheck make it very obvious who the operator has designated as the acting pilot in command. Even though I am fully qualfied to act as pic, I have clearly not been designated prior to flight as the acting captain while flying as a copilot.

IP
Sure, agreed. But the Caravan does not require more than one pilot under the type certification or under part 91. So the pilot can log the time as PIC under the 'sole manipulator' part of the rule.

I'm not telling the poster to do this. Just saying that as I interpret it, that he CAN. In fact, I don't think there's any other way that he CAN log the flight time under pt 91, right?

Cloudchaser, one thing to think about...did you take a checkride? Unless you have a signed 8410 form showing proficiency and dated within the last 12 months, you can't log the 135 legs.