Old 10-20-2009, 08:43 PM
oneflynfool
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2009

Originally Posted by block30 View Post
Greetings,

Just a thought; If wings can stall, and therefore have stall warning devices on them, why not on the tail? A tail stall is rare, but quite dangerous, and mixing up a "regular" stall from tail stall is deadly.

I don't want to dig too far into the Colgan loss, but maybe if the aircraft had installed BOTH wing and tail stall warning vanes the crew would have been able to accurately differentiate between the two stalls and apply appropriate stall recovery.

This is an 'easier said than done' issue I realize, BUT---the importance of such a system cannot be overlooked especially for Flight Into Known Ice aircraft.

A tail stall warning device would stack the deck in OUR favor.

With honor and respect for the Colgan passengers AND crew,
block30
The various types of stall warning systems for angle of attack on the wing may not be very accurate in icing conditions. It seems that tail stall accidents/incidents are more prevalent in icing conditions. A tail stall warning system would be subject to the same inaccuracies from icing conditions and therefore probably wouldn't give you good info just when you need it the most. Just my guess.