View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 09:44 AM
RedeyeAV8r
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

Originally Posted by skypair View Post
And the "trainwreck" is coming to those who actually rely on ALPA for "help" and "guidance" during negotiations, self-help, mergers, etc. That covers just about every commercial pilot, no? They're on their OWN side, guys! They need to keep collecting money and if its from strike fund war chest assessments, all the better! Look for drawn out negotiations even when shorter is possible! skypair
Pure BS. The ALPA you refer too is YOU and the members on your specific seniority list. ALPA national does not dictate Negotiations to a specific Airline. That is up to the local MEC. If the pilots from that carrier don't like what is being negotiated, their beef is with their own, not ALPA National. It all comes down to personal and individual resolve of the Pilots

During Airline mergers between 2 ALPA carriers, ALPA National does not get involved as it is a conflict of interest. Again, that is between the "Merger" committees of each MEC and usually decided by a nuetral Arbitrator.

You are quick to point out all of ALPA's faults ( and I'll grant you there are a few). You fail to point out the good things ALPA has done.

I am not picking on or slamming the independent Unions of IPS AA or SWA but name one thing these organizations have done for the pilot profession outside of their negotiated contracts?

What of these organizations done to enhance safety as far as changing regulations? Getting Rid of Lorenzo or atleast keeping him from coming back.

ALPA National can't perform miracles. As far as a strike is concerned, It was the Local MEC's of CAL and EAL ( and it's members) that decided to go on strike not ALPA National. I paid my strike assessment to the Pilots of CAL and Eastern. Those strikes were not successful and I am sorry, but don't put the entire Blame on ALPA National, the decsions for such things are made at the local level.

Where would this profession be without ALPA National? Do you really think things would be better without them? Please..........