View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Fly Boy Knight
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: PT Inbound

I was a CFI for almost 3 years and I have ran around this question 80,000 times and the major problem where this arguement even comes from is that 14 CFR 61.51 Pilot Logbooks does not actual say you must BE THE PIC to LOG "Pilot In Command" Time. In my head, it is not very smart on the part of the law making body that made this rule but whatever.

As for my, more or less, "opinion," I believe you may log PIC time EVEN THOUGH you are not actually the designated PIC for that leg or flight.

My reason comes from... 61.51

(e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time: A sport, recreational, private, commercial, or airline transport pilot may log pilot in command flight time for flights...
When the pilot is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated, or has sport pilot privileges for that category and class of aircraft, if the aircraft class rating is appropriate;

To try to put normal word to this rule...
-This basically means that a pilot (commercial/private etc) may log PIC time WHENEVER YOU...

1. Are the SOLE MANIPULATOR (pilot flying I guess is the term) of the aircraft AND...
2. You are rated in that airplane (Pilot license with appropriate Cat/Class Rating)

Finally, in this situation, EVEN THOUGH you are NOT ACTUALLY THE PIC, you MAY still log pilot in command time because...
1. You are the sole manipulator and...
2. You have a license with an ASEL rating.

Anyways, remember....this is all IMHO