Thread: Crew rules
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Parrothead
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2007

Originally Posted by xfzz View Post
Thanks for your feedback. The reason that I asked such a question was, in commercial airlines, the 8-in-24 rule may be violated (even intensionally by the scheduler), but after that violating
duty period, crew must get longer rest.

I was wondering if this situation also holds for the fractional, in other words, whether it is a hard or soft constraint. I've checked the FAA regulations now, and it appears to be a hard constraint in general, unless under "extension of flight time", that means unforeseen events (weather etc) happened, then total flight time can be extended to 12 hours. But after that, it is not specified by the regulations whether a longer rest is needed.
Oh boy.

The rules are black and white. Part 121 and Part 135 are printed in the same book and on the same paper (at least they used to be before the .pdf was invented). They are not intentionally violated, but rather the exceptions as referenced in the reg are applied, i.e. extenuating circumstances beyond operator's control. Where are you finding this 12 hour number? If a Pt. 121 crew flies in excess of 12 hours due to circumstances not in their control they are given 16 hours of compensatory rest. This is not a violation of the reg, rather completely in compliance with the exceptions as published. Also you must look at the type of operation; scheduled, on-demand, supplemental. Are we talking a regularly scheduled cargo run or a on-call charter flight? different deal.

Maybe you can provide more info about your graduate study. What are you trying to identify? What is your thesis statement? Bottom line we fly a lot and sleep little and train regularly for it.

Once you think you've figured it out go talk with a local FSDO POI, then you'll really be confused and chasing ideas you can't find referenced in any publication! Good luck.