View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 06:49 AM
ExAF
Get's Every Day Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Retired
Default Not bad

Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
Just curious, how'd Chuck come across? Don't think I've heard him reviewed with same words.
I was talking about how Gunther Rall came across in that post, but since you asked...

That was the only time I personally was ever around Chuck Yeager. I've never really heard a "good review" about him either, so I know what you are getting at. However, on that stage in that company, he came off like "one of the boys telling war stories around the bar." It was back and forth with Gunther Rall recalling their experiences as WWII fighter pilots over Europe. He also talked of getting shot down and how the resistance helped him get back to friendly lines. As their discussion developed they came to the conclusion that Gunter was in the same aerial battle that Chuck was shot down in, but Gunther wasn't the one to shoot him down. It was very interesting to hear their stories from their perspective of being on opposite sides of the conflict. I thoroughly enjoyed that presentation and feel lucky to have been able to attend. Living legends telling war stories is hard to come by and tough to pass up.