Thread: Single pilot C560 operations

trafly , 10-26-2009 10:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off
trafly
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Jan 2008
Quote: Maybe it's because I'm a former freight dog, or since I have yet to fly an aircraft requiring a 2-pilot crew(although I have flown as co-pilot in KA's and C421's), but I really don't know what the big stink is about 2-pilot crews on these types of aircraft.

Once again though, how can we judge Zyttoc's skill over the internet? I think we should have a good ole' fashioned Dual of sorts!!! I'm a firm believer that the "TT" is only a partial factor in the equation. Some people make every hour "quality" while others are just there for the ride.
The "big stink" is the extra level of safety that a second pilot brings. When all hell breaks loose, there are 2 guys in the cockpit to handle all the tasks required.

I know that all of us consider ourselves to be competent professionals. However, in an emergency situation, it's far better to have on pilot flying the aircraft and the second running the expanded emergency checks.

Single pilot in a Baron, Navajo, etc, etc,etc... is certainly challenging, and perhaps harder on a day to day basis than a single pilot Citation. But the ultimate goal is safety, and nothing helps that goal more than a qualified, competent second pilot.

Also, let me say that I have nothing against occasional, fair weather single pilot ops. I just can't fathom why folks would operate in all conditions single pilot. Why put a multi-million dollar airplane and passengers lives at risk to save a second salary or satisfy that "I can do it all myself" ego?