View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Ellen
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006

Originally Posted by LAfrequentflyer View Post
I didn't realize they took that much per paycheck. I'd rather invest the additional 2% in a mutual fund.

Of course, I support unions so I won't have that option.

-LAFF
Exactly, it's a lot. And I support unions too for the right reasons. Mostly for abused workers, poor working conditions, etc. I expressed some examples in another thread: Sweat shops (18 hour days locked in a room), Coal miners forced to dig without proper breathing equipment, Child labor, Gross unsafe working conditons, etc. . .

But these days Federal employment law supplants traditional union roles for the most part, but not in all cases. Over the past several decades, Congress has passed a number of laws designed to combat employment discrimination of various types, establish safe and healthy workplaces, provide family and medical leave, give workers notice for plant closings, and much more.

The trend has been for government to assume responsibility for more and more of the things traditionally advocated and protected by unions. Unions have thus become less necessary for many workers, and the cultural movement toward legislative protections has to a great extent replaced collective action in the workplace. Now, everyone is "sue" happy.