View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 08:58 PM
UAL T38 Phlyer
Moderate Moderator

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Curator at Static Display
Default Depends on History and Track

JSF Boat:

When I was a student (1983), everyone went T-37 to T-38. 30% of my class washed-out or quit. The bulk of the washouts were in T-38s, which is a different-kind of landing airplane. The quitters were mostly in the T-37.

Today, about half of all students go T-1, and half T-38. In the last 10 years I think I've only seen a handful of people wash out of the T-38 (maybe 2-3%)....but for fighter follow-ons, I would guess a good 15-20% wash out of IFF (follow-on T-38 training prior to Fighter training).

I don't have specific details, but I have heard almost no one has ever washed out of T-1s. It is my impression the washout rate is less than 1%.

I have seen students with credentials such as yours do extremely well, and also do extremely poorly. Some of the poor-performers had great attitudes, but (for example) couldn't adapt from a familiar 120-kt mindset to a 480-kt mindset.

It takes dedication and persistence. but the final answer is most people make it through the regular course. It starts getting tough with fighter-prep.

If you get to go, good luck and have fun. I still consider it one of the best years of my life.