View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 09:07 AM
mike734
New boss = Old boss

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: Ca B737
Exclamation So how much should a pilot be paid?

Okay, before anyone else answers, the answer is, as much as you can negotiate. Now, how are we going to restore our pay to previous levels? That is the $64,000 question. I have an answer.

ALPA and APA and SWAPA need to agree on a common contract. It costs X amount to hire a 737 pilot and X+ to hire a 777 pilot. Thats it. I envision all pay going up dramatically but the difference between large and small aircraft needs to be reduced. Work rules would include the rigs and min pay needed to insure decent schedules and pension guarantees managed by the Union not the airlines.

I know this path has many pitfalls. Union corruption is one big one. But we need to level the playing field. We need to remove the argument that, "Brand X airline has lower labor costs and therefore we have to lower ours." If we all get paid the same (COLA differences) we force management raise revenue to pays costs. Labor costs should be NON-NEGOTIABLE just like fuel costs. Do you think Brand X tells their fuel vendor, "Sorry we can't pay you that much for fuel. We are going to pay you 30% less from now on." I don't think so.

This will not come easy and Union leaders will be threatened with prison. They will be threatened with racketeering charges. We need leaders willing to take that chance and we need lawyers able to keep them out.

This can be done but it will take some "outside the box" thinking. This needs to be addressed at the next ALPA BOD.