Thread: Key Lime Air
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 10:33 AM
HawkerJet
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
If the part 135 ops specs make provisions for a first officer then they are a required crew member and the time is completely legal. Airlines across the nation operate planes that are certified for single pilot operations with a crew of two and all that time is legal.

Pay to play is coming back. A pilot can either sit on the sidelines and pay their dues in wasted years of their lives or they can pay in cash up front and get ahead. In the end we all pay for our jobs.

Skyhigh
In certain situations SIC can be logged legally in a single pilot aircraft, our op specs called for a SIC in a PC12 for IFR 135 operations = legal.

As for the rest, define pay to play. I used to see guys coming through FSI who paid 10k for their initial training in a SAAB 340 for a well known regional. The company would repay that over time if they stuck it out.

Paying for right seat SIC time will not get you ahead, how do I know?

I have had the opportunity, but have not done so, to interview potential new hires at my current company. If you show up with time that includes right seat SIC in a Metro or PC12 it will mean no more to me than a guy that has piston PIC, it's just total time. We have had guy’s with piston only time excel, and others with multi turbine who’ve been shown the door.

That’s not what you wanted to hear is it?

Again, good luck.