View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 08:55 PM
cactusmike
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: B777/CA retired

Actually that's a very valid argument. Pattern bargaining has been used to great effect in other industries. As a pilot who has had his pay used to subsidise poor management for 18 years I would like to see an end to the slide that we see.

Sky High, I don't understand what you would like to see this profession become. Did you fail your shot at a major? I could understand jealousy or envy but to wish for 150 seat rates to fall to the levels of a Mesa or Comair is absurd. It's poor business to continually squeeze labor to enrich the ceo and a few stockholders. After flying for 25 years with 12 to 15 to go I'm still not anywhere near what my Dad was at when he was flying for UAL. My salary now is what his was at back in 1987. I don't know about you but it takes a lot more dollars today to buy what you could back in the 80s.

There will always be low rent airlines out there. The market will see them come and go (as will the FAA when they inevitably run afoul of the FARs). There will always be scabs who would sell out to take another pilot's job away. There are lists that take care of them as well. Selling out is not a blueprint for establishing a career. We need to boost pay and flock to the companies that treat us well and pay us what we deserve (and negotiate).