Thread: Afghanistan
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 05:43 PM
UAL T38 Phlyer
Moderate Moderator

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Curator at Static Display
Default Second the Motion

I'll second Rickair's sentiments. The anarchy and chaos of Afghanistan is due to the endemic poverty...it's a rough-scrabble place, so survival has always taken the majority of the people's energy. Look throughout history, and where resources and food are plentiful, or at least adequate, generally, those peoples develop into organized societies who accomplish things for the greater good.

BUT: to change a couple of millenia of institutionalized poverty, which begets the mindset of "My family and me first," which leads to tribal loyalty and corruption, will require at least one, if not two or three, generations that are raised in a semi-stable Afghanistan, where they see consistent and positive results of working with the West. Education for the current generation should lead to better education for the next generation.

And internet toys, iPods, Wii, etc, are actually probably pretty good weapons in the war against extremism. Not for today's fight...for 15-20 years from now.

We've been in Korea for over 57 years. The reasons are different, but I think that is the road we are headed down.