Old 12-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Hot Rod Wannabe
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Banker....UGH!
Default 300 hour wonder?

Originally Posted by Cycle Pilot View Post
I was a checkairman at my previous 121 carrier. Most of my OE's were 1300-1500 hour flight instructors and I can count on one hand the guys that had trouble getting through OE. I talk to friends who were/are LCA's at a couple of regionals who hire the "300 hour wonders" and they had some really scary stories to tell me. From what they told me, they had a much more difficult time bringing those guys up to speed than I experienced. What detpilot said is right on the money. A CFI who's tooting around the pattern VFR is not who we're comparing. It's about quality CFI time. I was lucky and worked at a college where each semester I had a combination of private, instrument, commerical, and multi students flying in challenging weather and airspace. That flight time and experience was worth its weight in gold and gave me a great fundamental flying foundation to build my 121 career on.

As for statistics, I think we're going to see more accidents over the next couple years from regionals who have low hiring standards. I really hope I'm wrong. I think it's going to be a combo of lack of fundamental skills, command ability, and professionalism. Couple that with the stagnation in the industry right now, and we're going to see the statistics change. Again, I hope I'm wrong.
Maybe you can point out the difference between military 300 hour pilots and civilian 300 hour pilots. Again, hours don't make the pilot it is the program obviously. So your bitter whole 300 hour statement is for the birds. OE also depends on the check pilot, and of the 3 or 4 check airmen that I had, two were so bitter that I didn't have over 1000 hours "fixed wing" time that they would barely talk to me. They didn't care about the airline or who was in the right seat. They only cared about their agenda and were bitter against anyone who didn't suffer the way they did in getting to Captain Caveman status. IP's like this are a festuring wound on aviation and should not be allowed to teach anyone!