View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 05:47 PM
ChrisH
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005

The thing about becoming a pilot is; it is much easier to do now days, because the resources are more than they used to be. You don't have to go far to find an instructor and an airplane to fly.

BUT; very few, if any people, go into aviation simply 'as a job', like they may do in other careers. Someone who desires to become a pilot, is someone who probably had the desire from a very young age.

Becoming a professional pilot costs a lot of money, and time. Despite being 'easier' now days, it still requires a lot of skill and knowledge. Not everyone is able, and desires to do that.

Remember that before 9-11, the airline were hiring like crazy. They couldn't feel the seats fast enough, so it seemed. I remember my dad cutting out an article from our local newspaper and giving it to me one day. The article was about there being a 'pilot shortage'. Of course, again, this was before 9-11.

Now, after 9-11, we see a different story. The airlines are struggling, and we have Delta, United, NorthWest, and others in bankcruptcy. Many of the airline still have a lot of pilots on furlough, and ultimately, you could say there is a larger supply of pilots, than there is a demand. However, I know many who believe there will be another hiring boom within the next 5 years or so. If that happens, we will again see the need for more pilot applicants. This is why I believe the airlines would be foolish, and run into more problems than good, if they try to slash pay too much.

But I agree; you can probably fill many classes with people willing to fly for free. Sometimes I want to fly so bad, I wouldn't be surprised if I found myself in one of those seats.

Just keep in mind that the airline industry is a cyclical industry. It has it's ups and downs. We are obviously in a 'down' right now, but I believe we will see an improvement, and things will straighten back out sooner or later, as they tend to always do with this industry.

Last edited by ChrisH; 11-16-2005 at 05:50 PM.