Old 12-30-2009, 08:32 PM
mestr024
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Exclamation Getting out of the Military and I want 2 Fly!

Okay for starters lets see, I'm 21 and have been in the Army for 3 years with only 1 year left. My sole purpose for joining the Army was so that I could drop my Warrent Officer Packet and become a Helicopter Pilot. Now I had the opportunity to drop my packet and get picked up for flight school, but I realized that the Army really wasn't a potential career for me, plus the time requirements I'd have to fulfill as a pilot were too much in my opinion. So having said that I turned this option down, and it hurt because ALL of my live I've wanted to fly, I'd fly anything just for the feeling of sitting behind that cockpit. Since I was little I knew this is what I wanted to do, and I've considered just giving this dream up and just get a normal degree in Accounting or Finance and just start my career in these fields, but at the end of the day I realize that I wont be happy doing this and I know that I have to give flying a chance before I discard this dream.

So yeah I'm getting out in about a year and I qualify 100% for the Montgomery GI Bill and the Post 9-11 GI Bill, these I have heard help tremendously in a pursuit for flight training. I have started doing my research and have found schools such as ATP, ERAU, & DCA that are very veterans friendly and with my educational benefits I can pretty much cut 50-60% of the cost for your standard 0 hours to your "Airline pilot" certifications (I guess you could call it that lol). On average I'd have an out of pocket expense of 22K for my full training and certifications with the above schools.

This is my educational background, In the army I have attained 2 A/As one in Social sciences and another in Accounting. I could possible finish up my Bachelors in about 1 to 2 years. Now I know you guys are probably asking your self how my thread is even relevant to the topic of flying, because it seems like I'm just talking about my self.

So knowing and uderstanding my current situation my question is the following:

Do I go to a school like ERAU and obtain a B/S in Aeronautical Science and at the same time get my flight training or should I proceed to getting my flight training done at schools such as ATP or DCA?

Keep in mind that I DO have my military educational benifits and the cost is significantly lower than would a regular person would pay. Since the VA is paying approx 50% (or more of my cost) do I go to a school such as ERAU and knock out my B/S at the same time, making me more competitive in the world or aviation. Or do I go to a school such as ATP and do their 150 day faced paced program, get all of my certs and training done. I guess at the end of the day I would like to be competitive as well.

Sorry for such long thread, I just would really like to give my dream a shot, but I would like to approach it in the smartest way possible. Hopefully you guys are able to give me any insight and help. Thanks to those who reply.