View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 03:13 AM
hurricanechaser
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Putting them back in their place!!!

Originally Posted by banja12 View Post
Alright, so it's officially the end of the year and it's time for me to make some changes. A year and a half ago I had quit my airline job for what I thought were greener pastures in a career change. Needless to say, it didn't pan out. Since then I have been picking up odd jobs just to stay afloat, all the while sinking more and more into debt.

I've been actively seeking a job doing ANYTHING for the past 3 months with little to no luck. I've tried Home Depot, Office Depot, even Pizza Hut won't hire me all on account of being "over-qualified." It seems that non-pilots really can't see pilots doing anything else for a living. This leads me back to aviation. When they say that it gets in your blood I'm pretty sure that it's a way of saying "pigeon-holed into a career".

Here are my qualifications:

2000TT, 1300ME, 1100 TURBINE SIC, 800PIC, EMB-145 SIC Type.

Stupidly, I let my CFI expire a couple of years ago since I was overwhelmed by recurrent at the time of renewal.

All I am looking for is a little good news, if anyone has it. I would really like to stay here in southeast Texas, but I'm willing to relocate anywhere if need be. I'm hoping to hear that maybe Eagle or XJT may be hiring in the next 6 months but I'm not even sure I can wait that long.

Any advice or constructive criticism is welcomed!
Seriously man try Domino's instead, I know a pilot that is doing that while collecting unemployment, it keeps him afloat for the meantime. Oh yeah and just like the other poster said don't mention Aviation unless they think its going to make you a better employee/Driver or something.

If your still young and can remember your old friends from highschool and their phone number it might be a good idea to call up old friends and see what they're doing for part time gigs and see if they can walk in your resume to any of the local stores that are hiring.