View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 12:11 PM
macatstarr
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2009

Max,

I didn't have any experience & in my particular situation they wanted it that way. A young eager man fresh out of college & the Marine Corp willing to make a low wage. But enough about that.
I say if you are familure w/ aircraft apprasial, different panels, RVSM, etc would help. They use an aircraft blue book just like for car industry, its really simple, I'd say its more about personality & the ability to comunitcate, being well spoken, also if you can speak a foreign language would be great since you dealing w/ folks across the globe. LIke I said, its really a very small community in the aircraft brokerage business, I bet there are less than 50 true players around the world, and they all know each other & all work the same. What got me the job was having "thick skin", I was cursed out daily. Making cold calls daily and trying to talk to wealthy people is very dificult if you can even get by the "gatekeeper"(secretary or assistant). Its really one of those job you have break into to learn the ropes, thats really all i can say. My old boss used to say, "if you keep doing the same things u've always done, you keep getting the same results u've always gotten." talking about me failing to get any business or purchase & a/c @ 60% of its value. I think thats was good advice & i'll pass it on. In order to be successful really at any job or anything one needs a special skill set or have knowledge that others don't. As a broker thats really all you have for sale; knowledge or information. Don't know if this helps, but its all the info i have...