Thread: Crj
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 06:33 PM
FlyJSH
Day puke

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Out.

Boy this thread hwas turned into a real bashing session.....

Let me begin by saying my only experience with ATP was the two day cram for the ATP written test several years ago. If I recall, ATP warned the cram was not a replacement for ground school (just like Gleim books and other test prep books/software). Test prep is aimed at getting one the highest score Period. All these test preps do what they claim: get you the best score you can.

DPEs are independent contractors who (except with special need and prior FAA authorizadion) may only do two checkrides per day. I believe they set there own prices, but I would say $350 per ride is about average (for commercial or ATP). There have always been variations between examiners (FAA or DPE), and any self respecting CFI (weather at an FBO or a factory) will try to send his/her students to an "easy" examiner.

The comment about only being a real pilot if one has flown frieght. I think he/she meant flying scheduled, single pilot IFR, mostly without an autopilot. That can be some .... ummm... exciting flying. One WILL learn tons about flying AND HIMSELF when faced with handflying a crappy, non-p approach to mins, in the middle of nowhere, without radar service, and in the middle of the night.

Now, back to the original question of the CRJ class. My guess is reading two or three good books could be just as bennificial. And if you still have questions, go see a buddy who is flying the rj and trade him a pizza and twelve pack for some help.

By the way, regaurding the pilots who just barely passed.... I remember an old joke:
What do you call the guy who graduated last in his classs at medical school?
Doctor.