View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 05:43 PM
plasticpi
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007

Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
ALPA, I've sent 4 emails this year to ALPA Communications, asking why wasn't ALPA using our DUES MONEY to advertise on NATIONAL TV, and other media outlets about our work rules, salaries and way of life in general.

ALPA RESPONSE: CA PRATER was on CSPAN!!!

That is IT!!! CSPAN, thats the answer!!!

So the question remains, WHERE DOES ALPA STAND IN OUR INDUSTRY?
I understand your outrage, but we also have to be careful not to make it seem like passengers are in serious danger when they step foot on a regional airliner, because they're not. A national TV campaign sensationalizing our work rules, pay, etc. could very likely have a negative effect on all of us.

A little bit of knowledge in the hands of the masses is a very dangerous thing. I prefer my union to be a group of pilots and experts, working in a precise and calculated manner, to make changes in the areas appropriate to their position. Ad campaigns, in my opinion, do not fit in what I want my union dues paying for.

Lets let our negotiating committee work on the fatigue clause in our contract. That will get a lot more done than a media frenzy. Those just lead to knee-jerk overreactions that don't fix the problem.