View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 01:30 PM
KC10 FATboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Legacy FO

Originally Posted by Jimmy Hoffa View Post
wait till you have an actual stick pusher in flight and try to tell me your first instinct was not to pull back. regardless of training for it, its happens so quick and is so startling/scary that i bet 95% of you will pull back as well.

the entire industry including there peers unfortunately threw these 2 under the bus.
Jimmy Hoffa:

Thanks for posting your first post, all be it a doozy.

THE STALL WARNING WAS GOING OFF SECONDS BEFORE THE STICK PUSHER !!!!

That means, they incorrectly identified a stall buffet on the wings, the slow airspeed indications, and the stall warning -- the most basic skill taught to ANY pilot.

The Stick Pusher and/or their lack of training on a Stick Pusher, is irrelevant. There is no training for a Stick Pusher. Why? Because if you're getting a stick push it means you are already in a deep stall. Nobody trains to recover from a deep stall because we spend all of our time trying to prevent one and just incase you approach one, there are enough bells and whistles and physical signals for you to react in time appropiately.

We could go on and on about what training they did not receive. For example, why did they not have inverted stall training? I mean, it is possible isn't it? Why didn't they have fugoid training in case the tail falls off? It is possible isn't it? The simple fact is, the Stick Pusher and the associated functions are in the Aircraft Operating Manual. Did the crew read it? Did they ask questions of the instructors about what a Stick Pusher is for? We don't know.

But what we do know is, he did everything opposite of what you do for a basic aerodynamic stall. I know that sucks, but it is what it is. The company shares some blame as another posted commented because based on his flying history, he should not have been PIC -- or perhaps should have been scrutinized a bit more.

They stalled ... they reacted incorrectly. Get over it.