View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 01:19 AM
BushwickBill
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: BE-20 PIC

Originally Posted by SLOLIFEPILOT View Post
The best I can tell you having done the same as you, is to get to know some corporate operators and get some right seat/dead head time. Build it up along with your flight time at work and flight instruction to a point that someone is willing to give you a chance. I was able to fly part time on a charter outfit in King Airs. I would take a flight on either my days off, prior to or after shift, or the best of all was double dipping by taking a vacation day at the office to go get paid to fly. I reached a point where I decided to leave the department after almost 10yrs to take a corporate gig. 5 years later I am still with the same company. It can be done.
IMHO You guys should use a little more discretion. You should really use discretion when you talk about "double dipping". I've noticed the growing ranks of former law enforcement pilots. Its pretty tough to compete with "state backed" competition. One PC12 guy walked into the FBO at SMX started recapping a DUI from the night before with a CSR. Then he started complaining about the weather and having to fly in it. The whole time I'm just thinking to myself "why are you doing this then?"

Last edited by BushwickBill; 02-05-2010 at 08:46 AM.