View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 09:10 AM
SLOLIFEPILOT
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2008

Originally Posted by BushwickBill View Post
IMHO You guys should use a little more discretion. You should really use discretion when you talk about "double dipping". I've noticed the growing ranks of former law enforcement pilots. Its pretty tough to compete with "state backed" competition. One PC12 guy walked into the FBO at SMX started recapping a DUI from the night before with a CSR. Then he started complaining about the weather and having to fly in it. The whole time I'm just thinking to myself "why are you doing this then?"
I am sorry that I came across that way. By no means did I make that comment to rub it in anyones face. I was simply stating that there are options available to make the best of a situation. The "double dipping" referred to the fact that while trying to build time and experience outside of the normal job, for a far reduced pay rate, taking some paid time off to help offset the lack of pay for a time builder helps. As far as "state backed competition" all my job with the state provided me with was flight time. I came to the state with all of my ratings completed and working a corporate job.
There are bad apples in every bunch. The guy gloating about the DUI arrest in the FBO is a good example. He is just using what ever he can to get some attention from a CSR that wouldn't otherwise give him the time of day. It is no different than walking into the pilots lounge and listening to a bunch of guys complaining about their "hard" jobs, all the while reclining in a large chair watching a flat screen tv all afternoon.
I'd like to say if you don't like it, grab a shovel and go dig a ditch for the day, then we can talk about a hard job.
That being said, we are all on the same team, and by the info on your post we are neighbors. Safe flying and maybe we may run into you out there.