View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 05:54 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Are you talking about flying through a restricted area as a normal GA pilot? In that case you just need to check with the controlling agency if it's cold or not, and if it's cold you can just truck on through?

In regards to Noy's letter, I agree with the verbage used there, that you are not operating under any kind of ATC clearance if you're just receiving headings and altitudes.
You need to hear the word "cleared" in there somewhere, or it's not an ATC clearance as far as I'm concerned.

Btw Noy, I just keep slinging out statements, and you provide the chief councel letters, I like this arrangement
No - in this case I was referring to NGDI's statement about
Bottom line: IFR or VFR, whatever airspace you happend to be talking about, you are not on a clearance, unless you hear the word "cleared." Period
I was saying that in the case of Restricted airspace that I used often that I often entered that airspace after establishing communication with the controller and before he ever used the words "cleared into...... airspace"

Yes - for certain special use airspace anyone can go through it if it is cold without any type of clearence. Lots of past discussion on this forum about VFR traffic flying through MOAs for example - including hot MOAs. Usually used as an example of LEGAL yet not a great idea (much like the situation used in this particular thread about hearing the words "cleared into...").

I look forward to diving into this more and more

USMCFLYR