View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 08:24 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by Photon View Post
but you don't need a clearance to enter restricted airspace? Or is there some aspect of what you're saying here that's blowing past my head?
Yeah - we are talking past each other here.

NGDI said that no matter the airspace you had to hear the words "Cleared" and I said that I have entered Restricted airpace (a type of airspace) without having heard the words "cleared into"
My requirement before entering that airspace was to have made radio contact with the controlling agency and that contact was made as soon as that controller used my callsign.

Scenario: I'm heading toward R-2508. The controller is real busy and I can't get a word in edgewise. I finally get a call in and Joshua says "Raider 51 standby". BINGO - I just got my clearence into the airspace that I was scheduled for. If he had said "aircraft calling Joshua, standby" then I would have not been cleared ito the airspace - and now you are in an uncomfortable situation of being on an IFR clearence but having reached a clearence limit without further instructions and more aircraft coming behind you. LUCKILY - Joshua was sometimes busy but always got the clearence out

This is what Rickair and I were talking about. A little off topic in a way but it was about clearence and airspace so a worthy discussion.

Back to your (our original) situation; it seems there is a difference in interpetation. This question will be great to pursue and we'll all be smarter (I hope ) in the end.

USMCFLYR