View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 04:44 AM
NoyGonnaDoIt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
Yeah - we are talking past each other here.

NGDI said that no matter the airspace you had to hear the words "Cleared" and I said that I have entered Restricted airpace (a type of airspace) without having heard the words "cleared into"
No. I said
IFR or VFR, whatever airspace you happend to be talking about, you are not on a clearance, unless you hear the word "cleared."
I probably could have said it better but I mean that if the airspace requires a clearance, you need to hear the word "cleared."

For example, a VFR flight does not need a clearance to enter Class C airspace. It needs to establish 2-way communication and the Class C controllers can always tell the pilot to stay out of the airspace, but no "clearance" is required and, if the controller is following "the book" the VFR pilot will not hear the word "cleared into the Class C" as part of his communications.

Your restricted airspace example is different in at least two respects. First, the restricted airspace rule talks in terms of "permission of the using or controlling agency" not of a "clearance."

Second, you say
and now you are in an uncomfortable situation of being on an IFR clearence but having reached a clearence limit without further instructions and more aircraft coming behind you.
That also makes the situation different, although I don't have the full picture from your post. You are already on a "clearance" since you are IFR and heard the word "cleared" way back, probably when you were still on the ground. When under IFR, it's ATC that arranges for the restricted airspace "permission" if needed. If the permission of the controlling agency had not been given, your IFR clearance would not put you into restricted airspace. See AIM 3-4-3(b).

I'm also not precisely sure what you mean by having reached a clearance limit. If in fact, you did reach a clearance limit (as in "cleared to the XYZ VOR...expect further clearance...") then you are dealing, not with restricted airspace issues, but basic run-of-the-mill ATC clearance issues.