View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 08:47 AM
ryan1234
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: USAF

Originally Posted by longhorn79 View Post
Newbie here, just starting to get a taste of Bravo airspaces.

Let's say you are going to depart Orlando Exec which underlies Orlando Int'l. Will the Orlando Exec controller's copy clearance contain an understood clearance into the Overlying bravo? They'll be giving you the frequency for Orlando approach so you're already connected with the bravo controllers then. My thought is that if they start giving you climbing instructions, say climb to 3,000ft, you're being put up into the bravo technically without them saying the "cleared" magic word for VFR. Haven't done this before, but I would just expect them to have you fly through the bravo towards your destination rather than keep you below 1,600ft for 5-10 miles which just doesn't sound that great over a relatively populated area if you have engine trouble. Any clarifications?
Taking off from Orlando Exec VFR... usually I've always switched to approach pretty quick ... as soon as you say "aircraft blah blah, 2 mi N of exec, climbing through 1000' to XXXX" - everytime their response has been.... "Roger, radar contact..cleared into Bravo - continue to XXXX, etc"

If departing to the North... I usually just climb slow until the 4nm mark where Bravo goes up from 1600 to 2000.

I've always assumed that since they said "cleared into Bravo" ...that means prior to that I wasn't.

It's always seemed to work.

also - usually on approach to exec..of KISM for that matter.... they keep you pretty low like 1000' - because of the arrival/departure end of MCO.