View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Rustee
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2008

I am under the impression that if side-step minimums are not published, but the runway configuration is such that it still allows for the side-step, then the minimums used are those of the straight-in nonprecision to the parallel runway. (If side-step minimums are published, obviously you would fly those, as you have pointed out.)

Originally Posted by TonyC
The minimums you use does not depend on the distance between the runways. The minimums you use depends ONLY on the approach clearance you receive. If you are cleared for the LOC 23R, you use the non-precision straight-in minimums for the LOC 23R approach. If you are cleared the LOC 23R Side-step 23L, you use the non-precision Side-step minimums for LOC 23R. If you are cleared the LOC 23R Circle to land 23L, you use the circling minimums for LOC 23R.

To repeat, you use the minimums for the approach clearance you receive.
Thanks for the correction and clarification. Yes, if you are cleared to circle, you would use circling minimums. I meant to say that the point of the side-step maneuver is so lower than circling minimums may be used (either as published side-step mins or as the straight-in nonprecision mins). Otherwise, what would be it's purpose?

Originally Posted by TonyC
Without Side-Step Maneuver Minimums, there can be no Side-Step Maneuver.
Again, it was my understanding that you can still side-step even if there are not side-step minimums published on the IAP. Maybe there is a source that can corroborate your statement?