View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 04:54 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
While I look for such a source, let me ask: Can you circle without circling minimums?

<and why are there no emoticons in this Forum?>

<wink emoticon goes here>

The EEftPP reference book uses AIM 5-4-18 and states:

1. ATC may authorize a nonprecision approach procedure which serves either one of the parallel runways that are separated by ,1200 feet or less followed by a straight-in landing on the adjacent runway.
2. Aircraft that will execute a side-step maneuver will be cleared for a specified nonprecision approach and landing on the adjacent parallel runway. Example "cleared ILS runway 7 left appraoch, side-step to runway 7 right." Pilots are expected to commence the side-step maneuver as soon as possible after the runway or runway environment is in sight.
3. Landing minimums to the adjacent runway will be based on nonprecision criteria and therefore higher than the precision minimums to the primary runway, but will normally be lower than the published circling minimums
Using the above reference (AIM), it seems to say that if the runways are within 1,200 fet of each other then you can shoot the NP approach using the NP mins for the one you are shooting, then plan to side-step and do so ASAP. I assume this means then that you could shoot this approach and plan to side-step without actual side-step minimums. Also assuming that you would have to have separate side-step mins if the runways are further than said 1,200 feet apart and may be the case in the examples posted above (I didn't look).

USMCFLYR