View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 05:38 PM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post

The EEftPP reference book uses AIM 5-4-18 and states:

3. Landing minimums to the adjacent runway will be based on nonprecision criteria and ...

Using the above reference (AIM), it seems to say that if the runways are within 1,200 fet of each other then you can shoot the NP approach using the NP mins for the one you are shooting, then plan to side-step and do so ASAP. I assume this means then that you could shoot this approach and plan to side-step without actual side-step minimums.
USMCFLYR

It is true that the minimums for a Side-Step Maneuver are based on non-precision criteria, but it does not say they are the same non-precision minumums as used for the straight-in approach. Surely you've seen approaches that have multiple non-precision minimums based on lighting, Approach category, Navaid capability, and even altimeter settings. They are all computed using non-precision criteria, but that doesn't make them the same, nor does it make them interchangeable.

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post

The EEftPP reference book uses AIM 5-4-18 and states:

1. ATC may authorize a nonprecision approach procedure which serves either one of the parallel runways that are separated by ,1200 feet or less ...

Also assuming that you would have to have separate side-step mins if the runways are further than said 1,200 feet apart and may be the case in the examples posted above (I didn't look).

The paragraph you quoted contradicts that. In the most current version of the Aeronautical Information Manual (I had to check, and found the one on my hard drive to be out of date. The most current is dated Feb 11, 2010 -- practically brand new!) the paragraph you cited is titled "Side-Step Maneuver." It's actually 5-4-19, and it's the same paragraph Rustee and I cited. If the runways are more than 1,200 feet apart, there can be no side-step maneuver. There can be a circling maneuver that looks very much like a side-step maneuver, but it's not a side-step maneuver. The existence or absence of side-step minimums is not the determining factor if the runways do not meet the criteria for a side-step maneuver.