Old 03-18-2010, 06:51 AM
TPROP4ever
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: none ya...

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
If the FAA fails to devise a new rule by 12/2011, FO's will need an ATP. The "specific conditions" just refer to the existing ATP requirements.

It would actually be easier on the airlines (and noob pilots) if they just go with the ATP...it will be cheaper and easier to get an ATP as a CFI/MEI than jump through some of the hoops implied in the 800 hour proposal.

The FAA will have to devise the details of the 800-hour rule. Congress did not attempt to get that far into the weeds...

It might just be logged time in specific conditions.

It might require dual-received and endorsement(s).

It might end up a whole new rating with it's own PTS, checkride, and maybe written (I suspect they will just require the ATP written)...TAA Commercial, 121 Commercial, or something like that.
Rick I agree with this. Sad, but I tried to caution people that trusting any government entity to regulate entry into a field they know little about could bite us all in the butt. Well I guess it has happened. It looks like the FAA will be required to make a new certification, call it a 121 commercial. What does this mean? The way I see it we could all (regardless if you are an 801 hr. FO, or a 20,000 hr, 18 year seatlocked major FO) have to go take a checkride for our nice shiney new certificate. We can hope we will be able to do it during PC in the sim, but if not then I wonder, will we have to pay for the DPE and plane for that new certificate? I know that based on the comments I've seen over the last year, that the majority of posters seemed a bit more concerned about whether you could use this movment to artificially raise your pay in the industry, rather than safety. Well it looks like YOU WON, so let me pat you on the back....sarcasm

Last edited by TPROP4ever; 03-18-2010 at 07:08 AM.