View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 09:13 PM
R Banger
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Default Parachutes and Spin Training

Hey guys I have searched and found some responses regarding my question, but I did want a little feedback so I can be sure what I do is legal.

I am a CFI at a local flight school in Utah and I have a gentlemen with an expired PPL wanting to do a BFR with me. One of his requests is to do some spin training to get familiar with the recovery procedures. Our school is fine with doing them so long as we are legal, we use a Cessna 152 for spins. We do not have parachutes though, the spin training we do is for CFI applicants. Now from what I have read by searching the forum a lot have said that so long as I endorse the persons logbook as training towards a CFI rating then we don't need the parachutes or even a commercial rating. I was wondering what you guys think of the situation, what would be the best and most legal way to go about this, and what regs will support this? I appreciate the help guys. I checked out 91.307 and it says if it is required for a rating or certificate then no parachute is required. I am wondering if someone is deficient in the spin and stall awareness area and wants to do the training as part of their BFR, then would that make a difference. There is so much gray area with this I want to see if we can clear it up. Thanks in advance.