Gets Weekends Off
Singlecoil
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Jan 2010
  • Position
    Supine
I used to do special all the time in the 207's up in Alaska. A 207 wasn't legal to carry passengers under IFR so it was get a special or make no money. We would even share specials with other aircraft to either get in or get out. All aircraft would have to concur to share the clearance with the other aircraft and the frequency could get busy with everyone saying, "I concur," over and over.

When I first got up there I didn't think I would ever be doing that, but after a while you get used to the local area and the flow of things. If one of the twins went IFR, then everyone else would be waiting either on the ground or holding outside the zone. Sometimes there would be 5 airplanes in VFR holding patterns. Sometimes we would join up and follow each other around the race track in the hold. Then when the first guy got cleared in, we could share the clearance and we were all perfectly sequenced behind him. Not something you want to do unless you know the terrain and the other pilots flying around you.